What every teacher needs to know about Social Media PD - NESA Registered, Central Coast Regional PD - Face to face
Time & Location
About the Event
Completing "What every teacher needs to know about Social Media and Cyber Safety" will contribute 6 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 4.4.2 and 4.5.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
The course will provide Teachers with the ability to make the best decisions when using the major social media apps, and give current, practical advice that can be immediately implemented to protect themselves, the school and those in their care. This course will help to promote the safe, responsible and ethical use of Social Media at school.
Participants are encouraged to bring their devices as practical activities peppered throughout the course will give them experience in changing settings and curating notifications and other functions.
- The Rise of Social Media
- Legal Responsibilities
- Duty of Care
- Code of Conduct
- Guidelines concerning Social Media
- Terms and Conditions what did you sign up for?
- Using Social Media with awareness
- Keeping Personal Information Private
- Curating your online image (both personal and professional)
- Digital footprints – Awareness and management
- Cyberbullying and online harassment
- Sexting, child exploitation/pornography, sextortion, online grooming and image based abuse
- Identity Theft and Common Scams
- Security and Privacy settings.
- Social Media best practice for schools and teachers
- Popular (and not so well known) Social Media Apps - What they are, how they work, security and privacy tips for safe use and positive ways to use them.
Some of the apps covered are:
Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, Roblox, TikTok, Minecraft, Fortnite and Online Gaming, Tinder, Sarahah, Tumblr, Tellonym, Yubo, Yolo, Vault apps and others.
Safe on Social Media offers ongoing learning support to Teachers and Schools through an annual subscription to out “Cyber Safety Toolkit” which includes guides and cheat sheets with new additions to the toolkit each week. The first year of the Toolkit subscription is free to those that complete the course.